The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Brund Low

Round Barrow(s)

<b>Brund Low</b>Posted by stubobImage © stubob
Also known as:
  • Brund Lance

Nearest Town:Buxton (12km NW)
OS Ref (GB):   SK102618 / Sheet: 119
Latitude:53° 9' 10.31" N
Longitude:   1° 50' 50.85" W

Added by stubob

Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic

Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
<b>Brund Low</b>Posted by stubob


Add fieldnotes Add fieldnotes
Brund Low is a corkin' barrow, around 40m in diameter and possibly 1.8m in height.

One of a handful of barrows situated around the Upper Manifold Valley. Although Brund Low doesn't occupy any of the local high ground like its neighbours. Instead it appears to mirror the almost 'barrow-shaped' lump of Sheen Hill, coupla hundred yards away to the NE.

Excavated by Carrington 1851 and Sheldon 1894.
A small cairn within the mound was found to be covering a small pit containing a human cremation. Flint scrapers, human bone and bronze artefacts were also recovered.
Carrington also found 2 small stones each with a single cup mark. (Stored: Sheffield's Weston Park Museum.)
stubob Posted by stubob
25th March 2005ce
Edited 13th August 2005ce


Add miscellaneous Add miscellaneous
Just a little more information on this site.

Carrington carried out an initial excavation of Brund Low on June 21st 1851 by excavating the centre of the mound. Halfway down he found a deposit of calcined bones accompanied by a triangular cup-marked sandstone. A disc-shaped flint was found in the filling of their trench. Carrington re-opened the barrow on July 16th 1851 and found charcoal and a second cup-marked sandstone.

Bateman records that one of the cup-marked stones was too large to be carried so the cup was cut from it. It would seem that both stones suffered the same fate as both of those at Sheffield City Museum are fist-sized.

Bateman also comments that they were told that the apex of the barrow had been much lowered when a bronze weapon half a yard in length was found. It has been suggested that this may have been a sword.

It was J.P. Sheldon's excavation of 1894 that uncovered the primary interment of calcined bones and charcoal in the small hole covered over by stones.

The V.C.H. calls this barrow Brund Lance. (Source: V.C.H. Staffs. Vol. I 1908 p376)

The barrow survives as a truncated earthen mound up to 1.7m high with max. dimensions of 40m by 38m and a slightly dished centre. Brund Low is marked by a Tumulus label and earthwork symbol on OS Maps 119 and OL24.

Site visited = 6th May 2013.

Scheduled Ancient Monument No.=1009080. Scheduled as Brund Low bowl barrow. NMR =SK16 SW2, R.S.M. No.=13525.
BrownEdger Posted by BrownEdger
31st May 2013ce
Edited 24th August 2014ce