Locals call this section of Castlegate Lane Scratter......in fact it's the route of the Old Portway making its way to the hillfort of Burr Tor before carrying on to Mam Tor.
The barrow is in a field halfway up scratter opposite the entrance to Chertpit Lane and sited some way from the slopes of Hay Dale. Measuring around 14x12m and less than a metre high it looks as if the plough has taken its toll on this barrow but it enjoys extensive views to the south, east and west.
John Barnatt's Barrow Corpus records that Thomas Bateman excavated here in 1851.....He found a skeleton central to the mound laid out on limestone flagstones along with a food vessel. Elsewhere in the mound were other human bones including those of a child and a number of flint tools.