'Bul Barrow', a ditched bowl barrow, 18 paces diameter and 4ft high with a hollow centre. A sharpened bone of a deer 'from Bull Barrow' (a) may equally refer to the Bull Barrow in Holt parish (see SU 00 SE 1). (2) As described in Authy 2 although gorse and bramble-covered. The top of the barrow is entirely scooped out and there is a spoil heap adjoining the mound on the north-west. (3) The barrow called Bulbarrow in Woolland parish was formerly a beacon, and in 1625 the hundreds of Redlane, Brownshull, Sturminster Newton and Buckland were obliged to find watchmen. (4)
Bul barrow or Bulbarrow as it is locally known sits atop a high ridge of hills in mid Dorset. While not overly impressive in itself, having the appearance of a bowl barrow, it must be one of the highest in Dorset. Nearby is Rawlsbury hillfort and parts of a WW2 radar station including a mast and huts which are now a sawmill. Thomas Hardy mentions it in Tess of the D'Uurbeville's and gives the alternative name Bealbury, but this could be his own invention.