Tests are being done to find out whether it predates the Cursus the east end of which is just behind the trees. After the excavation the barrow will be invisible as it has been completely flattened and a road built over it!
A Neolithic long barrow survives as very slight earthworks which have been ploughed nearly level. It is located 20m east of the eastern end of the Stonehenge Cursus (Monument Number 219546) and comprises a linear bank that extends roughly north / south for circa 70m and is flanked by a ditch to either side. The bank measures 20m wide and the ditches circa 11m wide. Excavation by Thurnam in 1866 found only secondary interments: the skeletons of two infants and a crouched adult inhumation, as well as animal bones including an ox skull. The barrow was listed as Amesbury 42 by Goddard (1913) and as a long barrow by Grinsell (1957). Sample excavation was undertaken in the 1980s as part of the Stonehenge Environs Project (Richards 1990). Finds included in situ knapping debris in the flanking ditch, plus potsherds representing Beakers, Collared Urns and Late Bronze Age vessels, as well as a quantity of Roman-British sherds. Animal bones also came from ditch fills associated with Bronze Age and Roman pottery. The surviving earthworks were surveyed by English Heritage as part of the Stonehenge WHS Landscape Project.