(SX 37086854) Henge (NR) (1) A Class 1 henge near Castlewich. (See plan from OS 1:2500 1953). Both bank and ditch have been heavily ploughed down and there is no trace of the outer slope in the surrounding fields. The bank is 2ft 6 ins high, its northern half having a massive stone-faced hedge on its crest.
It is difficult to be sure if there is a causeway over the ditch at the entrance. (Listed under 'Camps' by DOE (IAM). (2-4)
(SX 371 686) Henge included in gazetteer and distribution of Neolithic sites in Cornwall. (5)
Castlewitch. Sub-circular enclosure situated just below 183m OD on the slope of Balstone Down. Both bank and ditch have been heavily ploughed down, no certain causeway. Insufficient information available, but possible lack of entrance makes henge affinity unlikely. (6)
One of only three surviving henges in Cornwall, along with Castilly Henge and the Stripple Stones. This is what Craig Weatherhill says in his book ‘Cornovia: Ancient Sites of Cornwall’ (Cornwall Books, 1985, revised 1997 & 2000):
“1 mile SE of Callington on the A388, from the S side of which a lane leads to Westcott. Site lies on hillside to N. First recognised as a Neolithic henge in 1951, the somewhat ploughed down bank and internal ditch cover an area 90m in diameter. An indistinct entrance occurs on the south side, but there appears to be no corresponding causeway over the ditch. There is no visible evidence to suggest that there were any internal stone or timber settings. Like Cornwall’s other two surviving henges...this site was positioned close to a major prehistoric trackway; trade may have played a part in the function of the henge. Balstone Down, close to the north, was the source of greenstone for the manufacture of Neolithic axes. The bank of the henge reaches a height of 1.0m; the maximum depth of the ditch is 1.2m.