The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Hartshill Barrow

Round Barrow(s)

<b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by ChanceImage © Chance - July 2014
Also known as:
  • Monument No. 336252
  • Round Barrow on Hartshill Hayes

Nearest Town:Nuneaton (5km ESE)
OS Ref (GB):   SP318943 / Sheet: 140
Latitude:52° 32' 42.68" N
Longitude:   1° 31' 51.67" W

Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic

Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
<b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance <b>Hartshill Barrow</b>Posted by Chance


Add fieldnotes Add fieldnotes
Visited July 2014

Not much more to add to the fieldnotes below. Very neglected round barrow with rabbit burrows on one side. Center clearly dug into with no attempt to repair. Barrow made up of stones and loose earth. On an old O.S. map of the area, two tumuli are marked, the other being further down the hill, next to the road, but this is not recorded on pastscape or the later O.S. maps.
Chance Posted by Chance
30th July 2014ce

The barrow is located on the right behind a fence as you drive into the entrance to Hartshill Hayes Country Park. Sadly it is neglected and overgrown. It was excavated about 1760 and a bronze age skeleton and dagger were unearthed. The top of the mound has caved in and several rabbit burrows lead inwards. The rangers are very knowledgeable on the considerable history of the area and worth talking to.
With some imagination parts of Oldbury Hill fort can be seen in the
woods. The area partly occupied by Severn Trent reservoir used to be part of a flint axe head factory, in times past a teacher from the local school used to dig up flint axe heads on the site.
Posted by sky dove
28th November 2004ce
Edited 28th November 2004ce


Add miscellaneous Add miscellaneous
Details of the round barrow on Pastscape

[SP 3176 9433] Tumulus [LB] [As this is the only known barrow in the vicinity of Oldbury the following probably applies.]. (1) In 1835 Mr. Bloxham opened a barrow at Oldbury. It was common bowl shaped, 15feet high and 70feet in diameter. At a distance of 2 feet from the surface on the east side, some bones, a spearhead of iron, and an iron shield boss or umbo, much corroded were found. Within the barrow a cairn covered, at a depth of 6-7 feet a cist of rough stones. Inside were two sepulchural urns mouth down, both containing burnt fragments and two smaller vessels or drinking cups. Nearby lay the blade of a small brazen dagger or knife with a rivet or pin at one extremity, and at the same depth two small flint chippings. Below at a depth of 8 feet a third sepulchural urn mouth down over burnt bones, and a drinking cup, both in a rude cist (1). All the finds are in Warwick Museum (2). (2-3) The barrow is 2.1m high, heavily overgrown, and without trace of ditch. A deep excavation hollow in the centre reveals the cairn-like core of loose granite. Published survey, (25" 1959,) revised. Present location of finds is Warwick Museum. (4) Scheduled as 'Round Barrow on Hartshill Hayes'. (5) Additional bibliography (6)
Chance Posted by Chance
29th July 2014ce