The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Persephone Vandegrift: Maiden Castle
963 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks for those comments gjrk, and I completely agree with you when you say, "It is so uncommon to read any few lines that can drop you effectively back into the prehistoric moment..."

I confess I didn't know much about Maiden Castle until I read Persephone's poem, and that prompted me to do a bit of reading. There's a lot on the internet but this bit at http://www.theheritagetrail.co[...]rly%20ages/maiden%20castle.htm helps put Persephone's poem into its historical context.

"'Maiden' derives from the Celtic Mai Dun, which means great hill. It was known to have been the stronghold of the Durotriges tribe, until it fell to the 2nd Legion Augusta, under Vespasian, during the Roman invasion in AD43. The battle for the fort was a bloody one, and centered on the eastern entrance. Excavations carried out in the 20th century uncovered the bodies of 38 Iron Age warriors, who had been laid to rest by their Roman victors, along with food and drink for their journey into the after life."

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
8th March 2008ce
20:44

Messages in this topic: