Megalithic Poems

For me the two most memorable lines in the TMA book have always been these;

"Atop Knap Hill I eat my snot
For 'tis the only food I got"

Magic. Driving north from Pewsey, for the first time (overloaded at a chipper), I saw what he was writing about...

‘Neath Adam’s Grave I push “large chips”
down through my teeth and grasping lips...

Didn’t Strabo state that ancients ate
Their fathers’ bodies on a plate;
And drank the fluid that now gets hid
In a silver cup, under a silver lid?
Somehow their presence is up here still;
Watching me watching, on the hill.

Nice one Mr g :-)

And for something very, very special, listen (if/when available) to Norn But Not Forgotten: Sounds of Shetland ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00thpw1/Norn_But_Not_Forgotten_Sounds_of_Shetland/ ) where Kathleen Jamie explores the legacy of the Norn language among Shetland's poets.

And yes, there is a poem of a Standing Stane in there, read in a dialect as close to Old English as you're ever likely to get (and can understand). Wonderful!