The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Richard Jefferies: Story of my Heart
963 messages
Select a forum:
As new theories about Silbury fly thick and fast and the structure itself still sits in danger of collapse (partial or otherwise) this from the 19th century Swindon poet and mystic who knew his little bit of Wiltshire well; and if the words are not about Silbury itself and the thoughts so many of us now have about it... at least they could be.

"How many words has it taken to describe so briefly the feelings and the thoughts that came to me by the tumulus; thoughts that swept past and were gone, and were succeeded by others while yet the shadow of the mound had not moved from one thyme-flower to another, not the breath of a grass blade... The silk grass sighs as the wind comes carrying the blue butterfly more rapidly than his wings. A large humble-bee burrs round the green dome against which I rest; my hands are scented with thyme. The sweetness of the day, the fullness of the earth, the beauteous earth, how shall I say it?"

Richard Jefferies. Story of my Heart (1883). Chapter III.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
29th October 2007ce
20:23

In reply to:

Megalithic Poems (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: