The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Norman MacCaig: Treeless Landscape
963 messages
Select a forum:
Give me good and honest thieving magpies, and a river instead. We have few enough Autumns (as someone nearly said) to spend a single day in the company of the vexatious and mean.

Aye, true enough. I'll take you and ryaner down to the river and lighten your souls - metaphorically speaking of course (I wouldn't actually chuck you in :-)

Now, on the question of the word 'fall', which strikes me as very important ;-) I first fell upon the word as a student when a fellow student pointed out that, though it was an American-ism, it was a good American-ism and an Anglo-Saxon word to boot, non of this Latin rubbish you understand. It still lurks at the back of my consciousness in a room labelled Whitman; can't use it very often of course but seem to have a distant memory that the word was once used in this country as well as in America as an alternative word to autumn.

There's a place in the States isn't there where lots of English words are still spoken but forgotten elsewhere - I think. Where's Bucky when we need him :-)

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
12th October 2006ce
19:13

Messages in this topic: