(SY 10748790) Seven Stones (NR) (Site of) (NAT) (1)
A group of stones believed locally to have been a stone circle known as "Seven Stones" are shown on a map of 1789:
"On the open moor about 50 feet on the Otterton side of the hedge, there used to be an interesting monument. It is laid down in the old map dated 1789, in the possession of the Lord of the Manor, as the `Seven Stones'... It consisted of six large upright blockds of stone placed in a circle, with a seventh in the centre. It stood at about 200 yards north of the path that leads down te plantation down Stintway Lane to Bickwell, or from Bickwell up the hill, and about 50 feet out of Sidmouth Manor. It has been destroyed within the last century to make the rockery at Bicton Park."(a).
These stones have now been removed and it is not known whether they were standing stones or outcrops. (2)
No trace could be found here of any stones. (3)
The site of the Seven Stones agrees with the OS siting symbol, although the parish boundary here has subsequently moved to the west since the 1st edition OS 6" map of 1888. (4)