[ST 57706143 to ST 57906134] A Romano British occupation site was discovered in 1953 at Knowle Hill in excavating for the pipe line from the Chew Valley Reservoir to the Stowey Treatment works. Features revealed comprised shallow depressions, ditches, hearths and occupation levels. The finds included sherds of Roman and earlier pottery and a cremation burial, probably Roman or earlier, at ST 57896135. Occupation continued until the 4th century. (1)
There are no surface features and the farmer has not noticed anything of significance. (2)
The absence in the pipe-trench of thick occupation levels, roof tiling, brick, mortar and lias makes it unlikely that this is a 'villa' type of site, unless the building is some distance away. It seems probable that this is an 'open' type of site similar to Herriott's Bridge (ST 55 NE 5); one possible post-hole was seen, and a stake-hole in a hearth, see illustration, and these are the only suggestions of habitations: the hearths alone do not prove habitation.
The indications extend in the trench for 600ft. on almost level ground and there was no evidence for which side of the pipe-line the major part of the settlement lies; there are no surface or air photograph indications. The limited amount of pottery found covers most of the Roman period, and the end of the preceding one. This long, but not intensive, occupation points to a native settlement established in pre-Roman times continuing along similar lines until the 4th century. The aerial photographs of this area were examined as part of the Mendip Hills AONB project of the National Mapping Programme. No evidence for this site was seen on the available aerial photographs.