Details of ring barrow and a round cairn on Pastscape
(SS 87414147 & SS 87464146) Tumuli (NR). Two barrows, 143 ft. apart from centre to centre. The first is a disc-barrow, a slight mound surrounded by a nearly circular bank 58 ft. in diameter at the crest and 72 ft. at the foot of the bank. Indications of an inner ditch. The second barrow E of the first is a cairn of stones much mutilated. No indication of a ditch. Diameter c. 56 ft.Cutcombe 1; SS 87414147, 24 paces across and 1.5 ft. high, apparently a saucer barrow.
Cutcombe 2; SS 87464146, 17 paces across and 4.5 ft. high. Cairn with modern stone heap, much dug away from west and south-west. (4)
The feature listed by Grinsell as Cutcombe 1 appears to be a saucer barrow. (GPs AO/65/178/1 & 2). The other feature is a disturbed cairn. Published 1.2500 survey revised. (5) SS 87414147. Cutcombe 1. Apparently a saucer-barrow comprising a central mound 32ft. diameter, 1ft. 6ins. high, enclosed by ditch circa 8ft. wide and outer bank circa 12 ft. wide. The ditch is circa 9 ins. deep externally and bank c 9 ins high. Described in error by Authority 2 as a disc barrow. SS 87464146. Cutcombe 2. Cairn surmounted by modern stone heap, listed as Authy 4. Possibly called White Barrow (see also SS 84 SE 2).
Both visited by Grinsell 25th May 1958. Cutcombe 4a. "One or two of Rowbarrows had been examined incompletely" on 2nd November 1807 (6 & 7). (SS 84 SE 8, 9 & 10 are known as 'Rowbarrows') A ring barrow and a round cairn situated in a prominent position on a rounded hilltop at 510 metres O.D.; part of the linear Rowbarrow group(see also SS 84 SE 9 and 10). SS 8741 4147. An impressive and well preserved ring-barrow 22.9 metres in overall diameter with a slightly off-centre saucer-shaped mound and a slightly sub-circular enclosing bank. The mound is 12.7 metres in diameter, 0.3 metres high with a shallow depression in its top where a few random largish stones are evident. The back which apparently gently slopes from south to north varies in width from 2.8 metres on the lower side to 5.2 metres on the upper side. Its height is on average 0.6 metres externally and 0.4 metres internally. The ditch noted by an earlier authority is a misinterpretation of the junction of the edge of the mound and the inner scarp of the bank. The barrow is a variation on the south west cairn platform with rim bank. SX 8745 4146. This heavily disturbed cairn, lying 8.0 metres south-east of the barrow, measures from 14.3 metres to 16.0 metres across and has a maximum height of 1.4 metres. It appears to be mostly composed of small stone although a few larger boulders are visible. The south west side has been dug away and no traces of kerbing are evident in the exposed sides. Two small, probably modern, cairns havebeen constructed on its top.
Shallow amorphous quarry pits, presumably a source of barrow material,lie between the mounds. No further information was gained on the name "White Barrow". It is not noted on the maps of Day and Masters (1782) or Greenwood (1822). Visible on A.P.s (12-13) (14)
A well preserved ring barrow and a round cairn, forming part of the Rowbarrow group, are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs, to the west of Dunkery Beacon, centred on circa SS 87424147 and SS 87464146 resprectively.
The diameter of the ring barrow outer enclosing bank measures approximately 20 metres at the outer edge, the inner mound almost 10 metres in diameter. The cairn lies 28 metres south east of the barrow and is almost 10 metres in diameter.
Numerous small and shallow quarries, which might be the source of the building material for the monuments, are visible between the mounds. (16-19)