The few small stones now remaining of this carnedd stand on the boundary between the farms of Bwlch sych and Ty Croes, the present wire fence which divides the lands passing over the stones. - Visited, 7th September, 1910.
In the year 1880, this carnedd was described as being "about 82 feet in circumference, worked very irregularly with stones pitched on edge in the inner course, while the outer one was evidently built of stone and mould intermixed for a certain height" (Mont. Coll. 1880, xiii, 53). The father-in-law of the present occupier was for some weeks engaged in carting the stones from this carnedd for building purposes. While so engaged he came across "an old kettle, or an urn, containing a quantity of ashes, with something like cinders." nothing is now known of this receptacle. The writer of the above article continues: "One side of this cairn was opened about half-a-century ago [circa 1830], when a stone chest was discovered, which was robbed of its contents during the time that intervened between the first discovery and the time it was removed."
"It was always believed in the neighbourhood that vast booty was stored up in this huge cairn; and treasure hunters, from time to time, had made fruitless attempts to discover the same, for the more they worked, and the nearer they went, as it was supposed, to the spoil, invariably, a most terrific thunderstorm came on, and this was also the case when the chest was discovered, which was the cause of its being partly exposed for several days, before the late Thomas Jones of Cwmfedw took a pair of horses, and with the aid of strong chains contrived to remove the slab, and had it taken to cover the culvert by the old Methodist Chapel, where it still lies, doing a most serviceable work under the main road" (Mont. Coll., 1880, xiii, 54).
I stumbled across this fortuitously since the fenceline to the wonderful Afon Y Dolau Gwynion chambered cairn bisects the monument. Not a great deal left, but bonus sites are always welcome. Great position, too.
No doubt as to 'authenticity' since, according to our friends at Coflein, the site is:
'A much ruined round cairn, 9.0-11.5m in diameter, a cist was observed and an urn recovered, c.1830.(source Os495card; SJ02SW9)