The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: A decade of The Modern Antiquarian
51 messages
Select a forum:
It seems very strange, in retrospect, that the publishing of TMA didn't have a great impact on yours truly at the time.

As a fan from the Teardrop days, I was aware from the albums that Julian was in some kind of 'ancient quest' phase. A little weird, but a lot more benign than, say, the Fried era.... not something that would interest me since every archaeological book I'd ever seen appeared to have been written by Mr Cholmondley-Warner. But over the course of the 90's this perception began to change, coming across various sites while out in the hills and appreciating the manner in which they seemed to be integral to their surroundings...

I'd read that the Drude was putting together something called 'The Head's Guide to The Ancient Stones of Britain' - or words to that effect - and thought 'that'll be good for a laugh'. Oh ye of little faith, eh? When it eventually appeared, with the much more classy - not to mention classic -title, I baulked at the £30 price-tag, but would pop into the long gone Books etc at Fenchurch Street occasionally to check out where I'd been recently. The interest grew, albeit over a couple of years. What's this place in Lewis? That was on my Ultravox album cover back in 1984. Guess I should go have a look at Stonehenge one day? You get the picture.

Then in 2001 several copies were languishing in the half price bin....... couldn't sell them. Suffice to say I snapped one up sharpish - needn't have hurried actually - and planned visits to Cornwall, Orkney, Arran, places I wouldn't have contemplated going otherwise in a million years. No mountains, see. So, beautiful scenery, serene auras, senses taken beyond overload inside chambered cairns. In short TMA took me around the islands that I live on and made me aware of how superb they really are, opened my mind and thoroughly demolished any lingering residue of absurd Victorian 'we are the acme of civilisation' notions. But of course the book was just the start.....

Thanks Julian for opening the door and - most of all - for making it FUN!!!

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
12th July 2009ce
10:30

Messages in this topic: