The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
A decade of The Modern Antiquarian
51 messages
Select a forum:
OK, OK, so The Modern Antiquarian was first published in 1998, but I have only been aware of it since 1999, when I saw a copy of it for sale at the Henge Shop in Avebury that spring. So for me this year marks a decade of TMA. When I first saw it on sale, price £25, I think - or was it £30? - I dribbled over it, I caressed it, I handled it with reverence but I put it back on the shelf because I was very, very skint at that time.

My friend treaclechops got a copy as a birthday pressie, and I was allowed to look at it but I had to wash my hands first and promise not to open it too far for fear of breaking the spine. I desperately wanted my own copy: to pour over every word, to cross reference sites to maps and wonder about the feasibility of getting to them...

I didn't get my own precious copy until September 2001 as a leaving gift from my previous job, which my thoughtful ex-colleagues all signed.

When treaclechops died, she left her copy to my daughter, who had been dragged out on various megalithing trips over the years. She treasures her copy, not just because of its provenance, but because it reminds her of those trips to wild and wonderful places.

Now, looking on amazon, I see that this most precious of books is out of print and the cheapest second-hand copy is £70!

It's not overstating it to say that TMA changed my life. Using it as a guidebook, it took me and treaclechops on trips together which are now cherished memories of our friendship. Through TMA I met my husband and together we have used the book to guide our travels across the UK, and now with TME, far beyond.

I wonder if others on here treasure their copy of the book as much as I do mine? Where and when did you get yours?

Reply | with quote
Jane
Posted by Jane
10th July 2009ce
19:49

Messages in this topic: