The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Burton Stone

Bullaun Stone

<b>Burton Stone</b>Posted by MozImage © Moz
This site is of disputed antiquity. If you have any information that could help clarify this site's authenticity, please post below or leave a post in the forum.
Nearest Town:York (1km ENE)
OS Ref (GB):   SE596527 / Sheet: 105
Latitude:53° 57' 59.92" N
Longitude:   1° 5' 29.01" W

Added by BigSweetie

Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
Photographs:<b>Burton Stone</b>Posted by Moz <b>Burton Stone</b>Posted by BigSweetie Artistic / Interpretive:<b>Burton Stone</b>Posted by BigSweetie


Add miscellaneous Add miscellaneous
From "A Short History of York" by Marguerita Spence and Marian E Everatt (1948):

"....the corner of Burton Stone Lane, where stood the hapel of St. Mary Magdalene. Here travellers prayed for safe guidance through the Forest of Galtres."

From "York" by John Harvey (1983):

"Soon after this is the corner of Burton Stone Lane, with the historic - or prehistoric - Burton Stone marking the limit of the old jurisdiction of the city on this side of the road."

From "This Is York" by CB Knight (1954):

"At the far corner of Burton Stone Lane, in front of the Burton Stone Inn, is a stone enclosed in iron railings. This is the Burton Stone, which gives its name to the lane. It recalls the fact that in 1604 there was a violent outbreak of plague in the city, and 3,512 persons are said to have died of it...........Stone crosses were erected on all the main high roads approaching the city at the city boundaries, around which the country people exposed their provisions for sale without entering the city. The Burton Stone was the base of one of these crosses, and remains as a reminder of a very sorrowful time in York's chequered history. I have not been able to trace what the name Burton signifies. Several members of a family of this name were very active in local affairs at the close of the seventeenth century, and may have resided near by."
BigSweetie Posted by BigSweetie
15th September 2005ce