Although enclosing 25 ha, this oval-shaped hillfort has little natural strength.
Its ramparts still stands 2-4 m high, though its ditch has long since been silted up.
There are a number of gaps in the earthworks - the one on the east is usually considered to be ancient.
William Stukeley and Richard Colt Hoare referred to internal enclosures and these were noted on the aerial photographs taken by 0. G. S. Crawford and A. Keiller which are included in their 1928 book, Wessex from the Air.
This would point to the camp being used as an agricultural enclosure or tribal meeting place, rather than a defensive work.