A tumulus, called Windmill Hill, near Tournerbury Wood, was dug by Mr McEwen, Richmond House, Hayling. He found a `pebble pavement' 5' 10" below the surface covered by a layer of ashes, with hollowed tree-trunk burnt or decayed, laying on the same level. Other finds included flint chippings, scrapers, imperfect arrowheads, potsherds (some glazed) and iron nails.
Cruciform foundations indicated the burnt remains of a Md.windmill, which had been placed on an ancient tumulus.
It is not mentioned in Grinsell's comprehensive account of Hampshire barrows. Trigg (3) states that, c. 1862, a labourer in drain-digging had found a quantity of pottery under the surface of the mound-described as `Saxon sacrificial vessels'. (The tree-trunk find suggests a tree-trunk coffin burial; the `pebble pavement' is a feature of barrows on the Isle of Wight). (1-3) SU 7323 0059 A mound c.30.0 m in diameter, and 0.7 m high, with no visible ditch, under crop. In a prominent position overlooking Chichester Harbour. This is about 700m N of Tournerbury Wood and is the only feature in its vicinity which
could be descirbed as a `Tumulus'.