The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stone circle etiquette
38 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
ironstone wrote:
I too would balk at the word 'sacred' because apart from the strong probability of rites/rituals at tombs/burial mounds etc we can't realistically say what the circles (certainly the smaller ones with no obvious solar body alignments) were actually used for.

Not only that, but I've noticed that when people attach the word "sacred" to something, it generally indicates a sense of ownership, or the beginnings of them telling you what you can and can't do around a "sacred" thing.

OED def'n clearly links the word "sacred" to god(s) or religion:

"adjective

Connected with God or a god or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration"

The "deserving veneration" bit seems to be dependent on the god bit, so a scared site is deserving of veneration purely because it's connected with god. I don't much like that, it sounds like saying we should venerate Paul McCartney because he was a Beatle, rather than because of any intrinsic worth he has as a person or a musician.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
25th February 2015ce
12:55

In reply to:

Re: Stone circle etiquette (Mustard)

1 reply:

Re: Stone circle etiquette (GLADMAN)

Messages in this topic: