The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: A Separate Place
27 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
But the Cornish didn't speak English, they spoke Cornish, and isn't language pretty fundamental to separating cultures? It's a long way west and not part of the English shires. It's got the British Celtic thing going on.

Depends on the tense, I guess. If we're talking about the past, then yes. But it would be ineresting to know the current percentage of the population of Cornwall who have long standing roots there? Obviously populations used to be far, far more static before the advent of mass transport, mass migrations notwithstanding - the stereotypical 'old woman never having left her village all her life'.

To what degree cultures relate to specific geographical areas nowadays I find an interesting question to ponder. What is the 'culture' of London, for example? I guess most people have a wish to be considered 'special'.... 'we're not like you, we're different'.....

To speak of something I have direct experience of... I've often heard talk of 'hiraeth' from people in South Wales and, when pressed to explain why they believe they feel this 'longing', most haven't a clue (there are, of course, exceptions, presenting an opportunity to learn). Never walk the landscape, have no idea about Welsh history, save the very much sanitised nationalist agenda taught in schools (i.e. everythings the fault of the English), are ignorant of, or take no pride in their heritage, riding trail bike over barrows, fly tipping in cairns etc. Yet there is supposed to be a vibrant, popular celtic culture in South Wales? Where is it, then? I would say Rugby surmounts everything instead, an invention from an English public school....

I'm an avid of heritage. Never let it be forgotten what the story of Britain was and is, warts and all, as Cromwell said. We owe it to the here and now and the future to tell the truth. We are what we are because there are so many different people living on these Isles sparring against each other, interacting with each other, or sometimes making war against each other. We are interacting far more now due to ever increasing social mobility to the extent that I work with people brought up on Exmoor, in Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow.... have Welsh family. I reckon the old divisions are breaking down and, whilst we should celebrate the rich tapestry of the past, we should not be looking to create new ones for what seem - to me - purely political ends.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
27th April 2014ce
11:33

In reply to:

Re: A Separate Place (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: