The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Boscawen-Un Forum Start a topic | Search
Boscawen-Un
Re: axe carvings
44 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
sorry, should have added sources for my last post :

Barnatt, J, 1982. Prehistoric Cornwall: The Ceremonial Monuments. Turnstone Press Limited. ISBN 0 85500 129 1

Herring, P, 2000. Boscawen-ûn, St Buryan, Cornwall. An Archaeological Assessment. Historic Environment Service, Cornwall County Council.

haven't looked at a plan of boscawen un myself for some time(!), but find it difficult to imagine the above individuals didn't when writing the reports.

out of interest, who's plan are you looking at sanctuary?

Google Earth. No mistaking an aerial there and my own fieldwork...twice in the last 3 weeks! A line from the centre of the base of the quartz stone through the centre of the base of the leaning stone takes you toward and past the the gated entrance to the site. The names you mentioned, along with Burl, appear to copy each others work at times (said it before and got criticised for it) unless they have something new to say. Another example are the twin circles on Emblance Down who they all stated were on King Arthur's Down. It took a rank amateur to prove them wrong and for Pastscape to correct it!

We all need to get out more and check these things out for ourselves because when you look at the vast amount of work penned by these authors, especially Burl, you have to ask where they find the time to see it all and record it all with 100% accuracy. Burl even claimed that Duloe stone circle was on Bodmin Moor LOL.

I've always found that clutch of stones in question at Boscawen Un circle interesting. 'Something' went on there for sure and it does have the look of a box cist with a couple of more stones lying close at hand.

I don't know if you knew but there was once a barrow right next to the WSW of the circle and a fair old amount of others nearby. There was also a fogou (they believe) about 150 yards to the NW.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
7th September 2014ce
16:18

In reply to:

Re: axe carvings (Evergreen Dazed)

2 replies:

Re: axe carvings (thesweetcheat)
Re: axe carvings (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: