The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
I have been reading and relating to these exchanges with great interest, and thank you for the post you made yesterday morning Gladman (it lifted my spirits) - hope one day you'll think about putting a book together.

It seems we are all of the same mind when we talk about finding some unspoilt solitude to appreciate nature and a sense of the timelessness. Speaking as someone who lived in London for many years and found entering the Underground something that took a certain amount of gritted teeth resolve - getting out onto high unpeopled places is one of my great joys in life. It is disheartening though when places like the ancient Ridgeway become unwalkable because it has been churned up by 4x4s and motor bikes.

Thanks Tjj - though I think I'll have to learn how to focus more before I could consider writing anything 'proper', like. As we say in Essex.

Interesting debate... perhaps my favourite passtime is trying to determine what it is about a location which may have singled it out as 'the spot' for a particular monument. For me it entails trying to let go of all we've learnt about the world in the millennia since and try to walk in their shoes. There do seem to be emerging patterns.... the gorsedds, sightlines etc. One day I guess I'll need to lock myself away and sift through it all. In the interim I need more data! At least that's my excuse for hanging out on hilltops and the like.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
27th February 2011ce
11:54

Messages in this topic: