The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
I don't believe that I gave the impression that the " sheer physical aspect " is my macho bag ,or only warrior elites took part in rituals in hilly areas , although the former does have it's place and I wouldn't exclude the latter as a possibility .Warriors , like grannies don't get much of a mention in prehistory .Similarly I wouldn't be happy using 21 st C punters abilities or asthetics as a yard stick in judging those of the Bronze Age or earlier in any terrain particularly if it was their native heath/hill . We next to nothing about about all that , but we do have Oetzi ,he was found at 3210 m more than twice the height of Britains highest hill. I did find the Neil Oliver &Mark Edmonds attitude at the Langdale Pikes instructive , they had a nice stroll up ,you can keep your ahnds in your pockets all the way if need be ,then commented upon how the "factory workers " would have been considered the situation ,pretty demeaning in my book . People have always worked or went to incredibly difficult places throughout history it's one of the things we are good at.

Apologies Tiompan, the 'macho bag' line wasn't in reference to you at all... clearly seeking out rock art and such is evidence you seek much more than some physical fix. It was a general reference to the sort of person I've encountered damaging cairns, quoting 'record' ascent times in bars and such - no respect for the landscape whatsoever, just viewing it as something to be 'conquered.' Ridiculous. I make no apologies at all for stating these type of people leave me cold.

It is of course true mankind has always worked in inhospitable places - Welsh slate miners walking 10 miles across mountains to work are perhaps archetypal cases - but skeletons riddled with arthritis at 40 tell their own story. Sooner rather than later such regular, extreme activity will exact its toll. Were Bronze Age people really much different from us? Very few Welsh people I've met - other than farmers - have been up their local hill more than once, if at all.... no reason to, apparently.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
26th February 2011ce
23:53

Messages in this topic: