The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
I reckon the primary factor why we regard extreme natural features - mountain tops etc - as 'special' is that we no longer, in general, live in close proximity on a day to day basis. Industrialisation, of course, brought most of us into an urban environment, the Victorians thus regarding a visit to such landscapes as an escape from the squalor we created. Needless to say the people 'left behind' didn't see it that way. I've talked to farmers who can't see how anyone could regard Cadair Idris as beautiful... having seen it every day of their life, a vision they equate only to hard work.

In many respects the relatively low altitude of UK mountains is irrelevant - just means they are older - and people die upon them regardless, in all seasons - for example an SAS man last time I took my niece up the Brecon Beacons. Our weather, in general, is much more changeable and unpredicatble than other countries. I hold our high places in awe, and see no reason why our ancestors shouldn't have done so, too. How would they have explained peels of thunder echoing around a cwm, something which scares the living daylights out of me who supposedly knows the cause? In short extreme places cause extreme emotions.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
25th February 2011ce
23:32

Messages in this topic: