The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
tiompan wrote:
There's a much bigger one 108m across as opposed to 18m about 180 metres to the north . The mining stuff is sometimes a bell pit .

That one's a lot less well defined, though. Like a quarry pit. This one realy looks....well... artificial. Perfect, in fact.

More recent ?

That's a good point. I'd assume this is an ogoing process. I can't image the nearest shake hole opened up after the row was built, however... too close to be coincidental. Perhaps if it wasn't for the stone row's alignment the row might have been completely tangential to it?

It's tempting to think of one opening back in the Bronze Age and the locals wanting to pay homage to whatever supposedly supernatural power created it? I've heard it suggested that the first wood/stone circles might have been triggered by Neolithic farmers wanting to 'capture' a visit of a spiral vortex in a summer crop by preserving the outline? Apparently experiments have shown you can get a great egg in this manner. Thom probably wouldn't agree, though. Maybe the same kind of thing?

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
4th January 2011ce
21:11

Messages in this topic: