The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
postman wrote:
Ooh I thought I was finally going to find out what on earth a shake hole is, of course ive seen plenty of 'em but thought they were some kind of surface mining jobby.
If it isnt, I dont see how it cant have been involved in the monument, the one at Saith maen is deep and I wouldnt like to take a tumble down it, nor would an ancient stone watcher, therefore it must be an integral part of the whole.

From the wonders of Wikipedia:

A sinkhole, also known as a sink, shake hole, swallow hole, swallet, doline or cenote, is a natural depression or hole in the Earth's surface caused by karst processes — the chemical dissolution of carbonate rocks or suffosion processes for example in sandstone. Sinkholes may vary in size from 1 to 600 meters (3.3 to 2,000 ft) both in diameter and depth, and vary in form from soil-lined bowls to bedrock-edged chasms. They may be formed gradually or suddenly, and are found worldwide. These terms are often used interchangeably, though many distinguish between features a surface stream flows into and features with no such input. Only the former are described as sinks, swallow holes or swallets.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
4th January 2011ce
18:58

Messages in this topic: