The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:

It's difficult to imagine that any "sacred" site wasn't situated in complete awareness of its natural surroundings, so I don't know where you draw the line, honestly. To answer your first question is therefore very difficult. Intervisibility with other sites must score highly, but is not by any means essential. I don't know why things like the Cheesewring are necessarily TMA-ish, but it does seem entirely right that they are. Perhaps it's the fact that they were simply "there" when our ancestors were deciding to build their own monuments, which would have been seen as either embellishments to, or impositions upon, nature - I guess. Struggling, sorry!

I like the question because I live just 10 minutes up the road from the Cheesewring and can't help but feel that it played a huge part in the development, for want of a better word, for the placement of the Hurlers and Rillaton Barrow. When stood next to the barrow a few weeks back whilst shooting a video for my own records I was continually being drawn to the rock formations on Stowes and felt compelled to asked myself on film if they were the very reason that the barrow and Hurlers were there and the possibility of their builders worshiping them. Difficult to explan but looking at them knelt down beside the entrance to the kist I felt that they looked down onto the moor and were in command of it. I'm sure their great age would have been seen as a powerful statement and something that should be revered. And that's how if felt to me living in todays world!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
4th January 2011ce
00:02

Messages in this topic: