The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: End of Cabbage Sunday
56 messages
Select a forum:
Pete G wrote:
Ah the good old days when you could go to the Red Lion with a fiver, have a slap up meal, 4 pints of Waddys, crisps, peanuts and a whiskey chaser and still come home with £3 change.

You can't do that these days.
they have CCTV in there now....

;/)
PeteG

At least the NT haven't bought Avebury's sense of humour - I suspect you may need it though, sooner or later.

Unfortunately, I can't see any real alternatives to the current plans - no kids does unfortunately mean no schools, and with house prices being out of the range of anyone with kids, bang goes your local colour. Those that can afford it generally have their real interests elsewhere, commuting long distances to work and contributing nothing to the community as a whole. Of course, Avebury has the added problem of being somewhere quirky to buy a house and have friends round to go look at those quaint stones [that came out in an American accent when I read it...I do hope that's not a taste of the future].

The only villages that survive nowadays are those with an industrial past, with clusters of small two-bed millworkers' or quarrymen's cottages that are still cheap enough to buy.

I remember when you could rent a house...

Reply | with quote
slumpystones
Posted by slumpystones
3rd June 2007ce
20:31

In reply to:

Re: End of Cabbage Sunday (Pete G)

1 reply:

Re: End of Cabbage Sunday (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: