The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lewis and Harris Forum Start a topic | Search
Lewis and Harris
Re: Lewis and Harris Hotspots!
28 messages
Select a forum:
I much prefer the flatness and 'strangeness' of Lewis to the more traditional Western Isle 'look' of Harris.

Apart from the obvious megalithic sites, the places I would recommend would be the harbour at Ness at dusk (11pm.ish) where the fulmars nest at head height in the craggy rocks at the back of the shore. Famous book and film called 'The Men of Ness' set here, all about the annual expedition, in rowing boats, out into the Atlantic to collect the Gannet chicks (gugar?) from island cliffs. And for the young at heart there is probably the best swingpark (anywhere!) funded by the EEC and in pristine condition set in the sand dunes between the Port and the lighthouse. Just don't get caught on the jungle slides on a Sunday.

Visit the beaches at Uig for two reasons, 1/ every time you see a picture of a Lewis chessmen you can say 'Oh, I've been to the beach where they were found!' and 2/ To make your dog happy. If you don't have a dog, then borrow someones, 'cause this is dog heaven, they can run for miles along the deserted beaches. No hassles, not a care in the world.

The Iron Age village at Borsta, Great Bernara, is well worth a visit. They had an eye for a location with a veiw, these Iron age folks! What a magical and tranquil place to pass ones days. Last time I was there there was a huge bloated cetacaen decaying on the beach. The fruits of the sea.

I'm really looking forward to being there on the 11th, it's going to cost at such short notice, but what the heck, you're a long time dead!

:-) see you all there!

Reply | with quote
follow that cow
Posted by follow that cow
1st June 2006ce
19:27

In reply to:

Lewis and Harris Hotspots! (Vicster)

Messages in this topic: