The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: My Cornish plans
34 messages
Select a forum:
Mi wife and I "did" Dorset, Devon and Cornwall last June in seven days. We took in the Avebury sites on the way down, then Stanton Drew, Stoney Littleton, Uffington and the Rollrights on the way back. I still haven't written it up and will have to use my photos to remind me of what order we did it all in. There were over 40 sites in total, an average of around 6 per day.

Don't be tempted to do what I did at Men An Tol. My wife didn't fancy the walk up to the Nine Maidens, so I decided to go on my own while she went back to the car. Armed with my shiny new mapping GPS I set off on a path that I thought would get me more directly to the Nine Maidens without walking back to the main track. However, it began to turn in the wrong direction so I struck out across the moor "off piste". What a mistake! There were big nasty holes in the ground (old mine shafts?) and everywhere was covered in knee high gorse-like scrub. Then there was a wall that was too long to go around and whilst I could probably have vaulted over it when I was 19, my poor old knees didn't like having to scramble over and jump down on the other side. It took me ages to get to the circle, a lot longer than 25 mins.

Can't wait to go back again and perhaps visit some of the places we missed.

Reply | with quote
Steve Gray
Posted by Steve Gray
30th November 2004ce
08:54

In reply to:

Re: My Cornish plans (suave harv)

Messages in this topic: