The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
My Cornish plans
34 messages
Select a forum:
Me and me Red Van are getting off to Cornwall for a three day circle-fest. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on my itinerary.

I'm posting my itinerary here because folks here know Land's End so well, (blimey, goffik's only just got back!) Tell you what though, it's a bit easier planning a circle hunt on Land's End than it is planning one in Cork!
There are five circles on Land's End itself, (on the map browser anyway), Burl has more in his big book, I'll be taking his book just in case, but here's my 'must see' list.

Boscawen Un (easy, I've been before, can't wait to get back!)
Merry Maidens (ditto)
Porthmeor (Treen Common) Can be seen from the road. I like those! Ruined, but hey, it's by the road!
Tregeseal. Looks like a bit of a walk, and Burl mentions two more circles close-by, anyone seen the other two Tregeseal circles? (both are ruined). Are they worth hunting down?
Then the Nine Maidens. A walk from the Men-An-Tol. I assume this is also called the Nine Stones of Boskednan. How much time should I allow? Is it like, miles from the Men An Tol? Will check out the Men Scryfa too.
I've got perhaps two and a half full days at Land's End, (but am going to Boleigh Fogou too – I've already phoned 'em!).

Friday morning it's Bodmin. Hurlers, Cheeswring and Craddock Moor Circle. But I've read Craddock is hard to find. . Are there any other Bodmin circles by the road? (I don't want to do too much walking because of the daylight hours/time/cold weather/laziness factor). I don't want to spend time looking for an elusive circle when there may be a more complete on by the road elsewhere.

And Duloe. I've got to see Duloe.

So- Friday
Hurlers, Cheesewring and possibly Craddock.
Duloe on the way to Land's End.
Find a pub with b&b in Penzance.
Lots of beer & pasties.

Saturday
Boleigh Fogou
Merry Maidens
Boscawen Un
Chun Quoit, Tresegal circle,
Lots Of Beer & pasties

Sunday
Lanyon, Nine Maidens, Men An Tol.
Treen Common
Pastie dinner.
Sunday afternoon, Re-visit ones I want to re-visit.

Although it looks a lot, I don't think it's too rushed. Certainly do-able.

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
29th November 2004ce
21:16

4 replies:

Re: My Cornish plans (FourWinds)
Re: My Cornish plans (ocifant)
Re: My Cornish plans (Mr Hamhead)
Re: My Cornish plans (goffik)

Messages in this topic: