The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Re: Admission - free
13 messages
Select a forum:
agree with mooncat, you gotta go when the moons high, you won't need a torch, its soooooo easy to get to, (driving up the road, well signposted, or walking from keswick) and just off the main road, you dont need a torch either, when i went up for the solstice we arrived about midnight and it was much more atmospheric and easier to see by the light of the moon as we trudged up there, than by lantern or torch.
its magical, very atmospheric, (although australian goons climbing on them with digital cameras last time we visited somewhat altered the vibe) and the whole landscape around is the most amazing, it was planned very well, (despite the 'information' on a plaque outside stating it could well have been used as a place to trade for cattle or as a market trading place) and i noticed the other day when i went up that it never seems the same. at night it seems larger, and every time i have gone it always seems to change size, last time it looked really small. a place of great mystery and i always feel like i am coming 'home' when i go there.
check out swinside too, worth the trek, especially in winter and theres abit of snow....mmmmmmm
TO THE STONES!!

pixie
x

Reply | with quote
Posted by pixie
14th December 2002ce
10:43

In reply to:

Re: Admission - free (Moon Cat)

1 reply:

Swinside (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: