The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Sacred?
9 messages
Select a forum:
To put it in words; to write it down; that is walking on hallowed ground.

Although I do think it's unwise to try and place yourself 'in the heads' of people who lived millennia ago.... fundamentally speaking, we share the same biology so I think it's not unreasonable to suppose that our predecessors would've reacted in a similar instinctive manner to common base stimuli (such as dramatic weather conditions, peer pressure etc), particularly when such events were stage-managed/manipulated by priests with a power base to maintain. It's my view, for what it's worth, that many prehistoric sites were located for that theatrical 'wow' factor so as to lower the cognitive defences of the contemporary visitor. So people would be caught up in the melodrama without even thinking, be scared of offending the supernatural, or even not wish to be seen as 'different'. Sure, we've all learned a lot about the world/universe that prehistoric people didn't know. But when all that is forgotten 'in the moment', were we really that different?

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
23rd May 2023ce
20:57

In reply to:

Sacred? (nix)

1 reply:

Re: Sacred? (nix)

Messages in this topic: