The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: The Uffington White Horse
30 messages
Select a forum:
Hello,
I'm glad Moss answered your post as it deserves an answer. Generally I think people are nervous of coming to this forum to share 'other-worldly' experiences at ancient sites in case they get derided - so thank you.

Uffington White Horse/Castle is one of my favourite places and luckily I live not too far away. In the past I have been up there in the depths of despair (usually self-inflicted) and have come away feeling renewed and energised with the problem I took up there no longer all-consuming. This feels quite different to what you experienced but then you were talking about the approach to Dragon Hill. What I have experienced around there, especially after coming down from the always breezy hill, is a stillness - which maybe because geographically it is very sheltered just there.

Earlier this year, I discovered the site of Cairn Holy (almost by accident) just across the Scottish border. I had what I can only describe as an almost mystical experience there. The evening sunlight seemed golden, the nearby spring sparkled - it seemed to me the ancient gods were present. All this was my perception - not just of the site but elements around me too. On another day it may have seemed quite different, in fact the next day was overcast and dull. We found a stone circle near to where we stayed before taking our ferry - unfortunately the 'magic' of the previous evening had gone and everything seemed a bit flat.

Kindest regards
tjj

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
3rd January 2020ce
16:03

In reply to:

The Uffington White Horse (Ilex Aquifolium)

2 replies:

Re: The Uffington White Horse (Mrs Ahab)
Re: The Uffington White Horse (Ilex Aquifolium)

Messages in this topic: