The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The problem with academics...
53 messages
Select a forum:
I think Rhiannon's advice may be right Rocky, shrug and move on, don't waste precious energy resenting the fact people ignore you, use it instead to build up your case even further so it's so clear they can't.

Top people can be rude I know but a couple of geologists saying "We found that arrangement of stones in several places that you took us to be quite unnatural and thus indicate the action of man" isn't going to bring them running when they're busy on their own projects, especially when there's no evidence offered that it happened in antiquity. (There's a big and continuing problem of sarsen-nicking on the Marlborough Downs).

There's another thing I constantly run up against, archaeology is skint. If a professor can't get research funding he's likely to be out of a job so he daren't spend half a day checking your site out. Ditto EH site inspectors, they can't get round the Scheduled sites in the time allocated following EH's 30% decimation so again they don't feel able to deviate from their allocated route. That leaves the rest of the archaeologists, 99% of them. They're either unemployed or working for a private client in advance of development and need to work fast and like stink.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
3rd February 2012ce
07:54

Messages in this topic: