The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: National Museum of Ireland
3 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
Speaking of museums, I had the good fortune to be able to visit the National Museum of Ireland archaeology department in Dublin the other weekend. Ooh but it's such a marvellous thing (free to enter I might add) - all those beautiful glowing gold artefacts, I didn't know what to look at next. I was with normal people, otherwise I might have stayed all day :) And they have far-from-home rock art and also Bog Bodies. It's just marvellous actually.

Also I spotted a whole caseful of these http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibi[...]1e-117a-4821-ac42-cfd2418ea081
which was quite a surprise as virtually identical things have been found near to where I live in South West england (I thought of Moss in particular who might be interested). So I suppose they must have travelled from Ireland originally (or if not, certainly the style did) - I'm sure there are ways of testing the gold to see where it originates.

Superb, and I would urge anyone in the vicinity to go and visit, and indeed it makes a very good reason to go to Dublin full stop. (and you can go and see the poor thylacine in the natural history museum, which is also marvellous).

Interesting the small gold sun discs Rhiannon like the Monkton Farleigh ones and Jug's Grave. And the larger sun disc in the collection bears a passing resemblance to the Lansdown one. Did you see any 'celtic spoons'?

Poor creature was it stuffed or just bones now ;) tis a wicked world we live in making creatures extinct...

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
5th December 2011ce
18:12

In reply to:

National Museum of Ireland (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: