The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
National Museum of Ireland
3 messages
Select a forum:
Speaking of museums, I had the good fortune to be able to visit the National Museum of Ireland archaeology department in Dublin the other weekend. Ooh but it's such a marvellous thing (free to enter I might add) - all those beautiful glowing gold artefacts, I didn't know what to look at next. I was with normal people, otherwise I might have stayed all day :) And they have far-from-home rock art and also Bog Bodies. It's just marvellous actually.

Also I spotted a whole caseful of these http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibi[...]1e-117a-4821-ac42-cfd2418ea081
which was quite a surprise as virtually identical things have been found near to where I live in South West england (I thought of Moss in particular who might be interested). So I suppose they must have travelled from Ireland originally (or if not, certainly the style did) - I'm sure there are ways of testing the gold to see where it originates.

Superb, and I would urge anyone in the vicinity to go and visit, and indeed it makes a very good reason to go to Dublin full stop. (and you can go and see the poor thylacine in the natural history museum, which is also marvellous).

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
5th December 2011ce
16:10

Messages in this topic: