The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: West Kennet Long Barrow
28 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
It’s defined here Rhiannon. http://www.britishdowsers.org/EEG_site/Glossary/page1.shtml I must say I couldn't see why there would be a spring almost on top of a hill, like WKLB is but it says “It is thought that the water is forced to rise up the vertical fissure due to a narrowing of the feeder stream.”

Is that right? If a subterranean stream encounters a narrow bit wouldn’t the water just back up rather than squirt upwards? It happens with artesian wells because the water table is higher than the well but that doesn’t apply at WKLB does it?

Remember a lot of hillforts have springs and they are often on the top of hills, west kennet isn't as high as a lot of hillforts with springs, i can see no reason why there couldn't be a spring just under the surface, and may even explain why it's where it is.

Could capilliary attraction bring it to the top? But returning to my original post, the water was running from the top of the stone to the bottom and creating a puddle on the floor of the chamber (by the way it is the western chamber not the eastern as I mistakenly called it previously!). I think it's much more likely to be a water trap under the surface of the roof of the barrow as Moss suggested or certainly water seeping in from a high point somewhere. I'm sure it must dry up at some point but I actually can't remember it ever being dry when I've visited albeit only about three times a year! Does anyone remember it being dry?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
3rd November 2011ce
21:10

In reply to:

Re: West Kennet Long Barrow (bladup)

Messages in this topic: