The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
West Kennet Long Barrow
28 messages
Select a forum:
Two weeks ago in the middle of the really hot and dry spell we had in the south, I visited Avebury and met up with a few friends. Ending with a walk up to the WKLB where I needed to carry out some research and making our way through the usual T lights and into the main eastern chamber I was amazed to see water still running down the orthostat to the right rear of the chamber. There had been no rain for at least 5 days and it was some 80 degrees outside. Where on earth does it come from as the soil level above it is now virtually nil so nowhere for it to collect? I held the flat of my hand against the stone and the water was building up against it like someone had left a tap on!! Even one of the dogs with us was licking water off the stone to get a drink. It was most strange. Any thoughts on this?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
12th October 2011ce
08:33

Messages in this topic: