The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: West Kennet Long Barrow
28 messages
Select a forum:
AngieLake wrote:
On a visit in July 2007 I noticed that stone was wet, and it was when looking at the photos later, I had this thought:
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146413218

When Peter Knight was looking for comments for his latest book on WKLB I sent him the link, and apparently he's used it in this first edition. I've not seen the book yet.

Be fascinating if the ancients had placed it on some kind of water source.
(Weren't all the stones re-erected though? Surely archaeologists would have noted that?)

As far as i know the base stones of the chambers have always been in place, i remember seeing photos before excavation and the bottom was covered by the top , therefore protecting it . If the stone is touching the top of a blind spring it would explain why it's not always wet, because the level of the water table would sometimes be to low and therefore no water would touch the stone, and when high it would be wet as it is touching water, i think the moistness added to the effect you speak of on the portal. The false portal at the front of belas knap also has the same effect.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
3rd November 2011ce
00:46

In reply to:

Re: West Kennet Long Barrow (AngieLake)

1 reply:

Re: West Kennet Long Barrow (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: