The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: West Kennet Long Barrow
28 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Always thought the stone was placed on a blind spring that is connected to the very nearby swallowhead springs, the ancients seemed fascinated by places that were wet when dry and dry when wet, the gypsy race (stream) near rudston is another example of this, it still gets us asking why/how even now,(it's something to do with where the water goes once underground).

I've not heard of the Gypsy Race before bladup, care to reveal more?
Cheers, Roy

The gypsy race flows though the ceremonial centre of rudston [the biggest standing stone in england, a henge, 4 cursus and some of the biggist barrows in england and when visiting you get the feeling that you are now scatching the surface and there was even more there in prehistory].
The water of the river flows above and in places sometimes goes underground and disappears completely [the name gypsy race comes from the fact the river wanders all over just like gypsys do, well some of them anyway!!!], the chalky land of that part of yorkshire has many caverns below ground so if it rains a lot after a period of dry weather [when there is lots of room below ground] the river will disappear, if you reverse this and have lots of rain the caverns will be full, and the river will flow nicely even on the hottest days, so you sometimes get the effect of been dry on wet days and wet on dry days, and i'm sure this would have fascinated the anicents [as it still does], hope that helps, All the best, paul

Cheers Paul, very interesting. I must look it up and read more.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
2nd November 2011ce
20:23

In reply to:

Re: West Kennet Long Barrow (bladup)

Messages in this topic: