The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: West Kennet Long Barrow
28 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
I was over at WKLB today and checked out the wet stone - it wasn't raining today but has been recently so the hot conditions of our late summer didn't apply. The stone was of course still wet and the friend I was with said that it may be partly due to condensation - apparently sarsen sweats and houses built with sarsen are usually damp.

I'll just mention the two groups of activities going on in the short while I was there:
A group of people drumming and laying down rosemary (evidence of incense burning) - they were leaving as we arrived. And a group of school kids ages around ten, with their teacher. They were striking pieces of flint together to make sparks.

It seems odd though June that it only ever seems to be the same sarsen! I think there must be more to it than that. Yes on the day I was there there was a ring of T lights on the floor of the western chamber along with a load of tat and for some reason, strawberries placed on ledges and in horizontal joints :-(

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
1st November 2011ce
18:13

Messages in this topic: