The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: West Kennet Long Barrow
28 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
...Any water that seeps into an ancient barrow should percolate down pretty swiftly between the stones.

...At Grianan Of Aileach the restoration was cocked up and mortar used in places to bind the stonework. Water accumulated behind the mortar, froze in winter and expanded, and forced the stones apart, causing collapses.

...Hope it doesn't happen at WKLB.

You don't get that at Newgrange , dry as newly cremated bone .

No but the WKLB has changed a great deal over the years George. At one stage it had a 'peaked' area above the chambered eastern section rather like a gable ended roof. I read in a report that it was once about 12ft high from ground level at that end and well waterproofed. It's down to nothing now and really needs attention. I spoke to an EH engineer a while back who told me it is going to have the 'skylight' removed and replaced by a capping stone and solar lighting installed.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
12th October 2011ce
11:07

In reply to:

Re: West Kennet Long Barrow (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: