The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: RoW and access to Scottish sites
16 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
This is a stupid question from an uneducated Englishman, but is access to the countryside (and sites) as free and open in Scotland as it appears to be from my reading of the relevant Scottish law?

For example, when we went to Clava, we noticed that the sign boards indicated that some of the other (non-state maintained) sites in the vicinity did not have public access, which rather contradicted my understanding of the law and made me even less sure about what was what.

Any advice gratefully received.

This is not "a stupid question from an uneducated englishman" but a well thought out enquiry from one of my southern neighbours.

Yes. Feel free. The right to roam is enshrined in Scots Law. Common sense prevailing of course, regarding gates, dangerous livestock, people's gardens, crops, the shooting season etc. Use your head and common sense. Ask if in doubt.

The "public access" at Clava I would imagine applies to the monuments under the guardianship of Historic Scotland where paths and signage are provided. On other sites nearby - on land outwith HS's guardianship - you have "the right to roam" on and access... but there may be no paths... or there might be a bull in the field... an oilseed rape field in full bloom... a grouse shoot in progress. You just have to be responsible and considerate.

The reality is.. go where you wish... wander at will... be responsible... dont leave litter... close gates... feel free

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

I hope this helps. Enjoy your next visit. Fill your boots!

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
28th January 2011ce
15:07

In reply to:

RoW and access to Scottish sites (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: RoW and access to Scottish sites (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: