The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
RoW and access to Scottish sites
16 messages
Select a forum:
This is a stupid question from an uneducated Englishman, but is access to the countryside (and sites) as free and open in Scotland as it appears to be from my reading of the relevant Scottish law?

As someone who is used to having to (largely) stick to footpaths, etc or at best "Access Land" down south, I was fairly tentative when we visited Scotland last autumn about going onto farmland with no obvious rights of way. As we are intending to go back again before long, I would really like to know if it really is okay to go where you want (subject to respecting the privacy of houses and gardens, etc). Does anyone have trouble because of this?

For example, when we went to Clava, we noticed that the sign boards indicated that some of the other (non-state maintained) sites in the vicinity did not have public access, which rather contradicted my understanding of the law and made me even less sure about what was what.

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
27th January 2011ce
20:51

Messages in this topic: