The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rowtor Rocks Forum Start a topic | Search
Rowtor Rocks
Re: Rowtor Rocks, it's all fake
30 messages
Select a forum:
As you know Mega - I think the 'solar' design carving at Rowter Rocks aint prehistoric. And I don't see how anyone needs to draw parallels with any of Mr Eyre's knowledge (or lack of it) in relation to prehistoric CR-imagery. He had no need whatever to look at CRs. The fella was a xtian wasn't he? And as there are plenty of similar designs on many early christian art, on crosses, churches, etc, I don't see why anyone needs to invoke prehistoric rock-art knowledge or parallels - whether we wanna see Rowter's solar design as slightly akin to Newgrange or not.

Surely some folk here are aware of the progressive evolution & development of symbols. There are plenty of CR designs on early crosses, where such imagery was probably adopted & plonked onto their designs. That's likely what's happened at Rowter. There's at least one Saxon cross less than 10 miles south of Rowter with a stylized cup-and-ring on its shaft. Why couldn't any recent carver have based his designs on that? As any good rock-art student knows, one needs to branch out a bit further and explore the evolution of symbols in early xtian religious iconography. We know that people were etching cup-marks on upright stones in Yorkshire in the 16th century, so I see little problem with some dood/s down Derbyshire doing the same, with a little additional flair!

Does the Rowter Rocks solar design really originate in prehistoric times? I very much doubt it. And whether Pastscape, Baza or anyone else thinks otherwise, they're probably wrong on this one. Soz...

Weirdly though, I think those on t'other side of this rocky mass, with the 3 CRs on top of the stone, are likely to be more ancient. Why? God knows! :)

Reply | with quote
Paulus
Posted by Paulus
16th December 2009ce
22:05

In reply to:

Rowtor Rocks, it's all fake (megadread)

Messages in this topic: