The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rowtor Rocks Forum Start a topic | Search
Rowtor Rocks
Rowtor Rocks, it's all fake
30 messages
Select a forum:
Ok, bear with me here.
It's well known the Rev Thomas Eyre carved out all sorts of crazy shit on the rocks, 3 metre square caves, a 3 seater chair, a font, numerous sets of steps etc etc.
Now there's also cup and ring designs, the flower / solar carving, serpents and numerous cup marks, but i now have my doubts as to whether any of it is genuinely ancient.
It's mentioned that our Mr Eyre may have employed people to do this work for him and not done all this alone, did he have some weird motives going on, i doubt he needed the money but he did employ a guide to give people tours of the rocks, he also was of the opinion that the druids used the rocks for some purpose, did he carve all the "ancient" stuff to give this validity and to further impress the tourists. ?

My doubts stems from a visit to the neighbouring Tor last sunday, Bradley tor.
Now like Rowtor rocks Bradley tor has a rocking stone, but much more impressive, but on a couple of hours searching the rocks the only sign of anything similar to it's neighbours decoration i could find was a solitary cup mark, i'm not even sure if that's genuine, it looks to be but as they are so hard to verify who knows.
Bradley tor has a better view of Cratcliffe tor where the hill fort was built, it also has a better view of robin hoods stride, these two outcrops stand a couple of hundred metres apart and are very similar except for the "rock art", you get where i'm coming from. ?
Now i sincerely hope i'm wrong but this has all made me very dubious about the "ancient" tag afforded the examples on Rowtor rocks.
Have we been hoodwinked. ?

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
15th December 2009ce
03:23

Messages in this topic: