The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rowtor Rocks Forum Start a topic | Search
Rowtor Rocks
Re: Rowtor Rocks, it's all fake
30 messages
Select a forum:
megadread wrote:

Ah, but if Mr Eyre had an interest in all things rocky couldn't he have seen such designs himself before and copied them for the benefit of his friends whom it's said he took up there to entertain.
I just find it strange that Rowtor is full of "art" and it's neighbour just a couple of hundred yards away apparently has nothing, Eyre did live by the bottom or Row-tor, very conveniently for him.

Derbys. hasn't got a lot of rock art; it only occurs in a few places, as far as I know.
Rowtor is hardly full of the stuff, and there's only one motif which could be described as prominent.
There is a nice little group of classic cup and rings which really look genuine. Is there another example anywhere which the rev could have got inspiration from?

I think they must be prehistoric. The only doubt that could cross my mind is the case of the cross within the circle.

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
15th December 2009ce
22:52

In reply to:

Re: Rowtor Rocks, it's all fake (megadread)

Messages in this topic: