The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rusland Forum Start a topic | Search
Rusland
Re: Smaller stones at the base?
4 messages
Select a forum:
Moth wrote:
Ayup - Small/smallish packing stones around the base of standing stones are quite common, or is this summat different?

love

Moth

You're probably right - that these are packing stones that have rolled away from the immediate base. I must admit that hadn't occurred to me when I saw them, since - although I'd read about packing stones being used to stabilise a large stone - I'd never seen them 'in the field', certainly not so immediately apparent.

Incidentally, during this latest brief trip to Cumbria, I noticed three stones (of similar shape but a little smaller than the Rusland one) arranged in a line IIRC, in a field on top of a promontory overlooking the lake, just on the northern outskirts of the town of Windermere.

How would one ascertain whether these had Neolithic provenance, or had been placed more recently by farmers - as rubbing stones for sheep/cattle?

(NB they weren't marked on the OS map, but neither were there any natural stones in the vicinity).

There were sheep in the field who appeared to have been using it as a rubbing stone, judging by some strands of wool, so my guess would be the latter.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sifaka
27th May 2009ce
10:16

Messages in this topic: